Monday, November 5, 2018

The Simple Things

Yesterday was one of those vacation days to dreams about, the kind I know I'll remember years from now.

The day was perfect: warm but crisp, blue skies, and that impossible golden light that autumn so generously provides. The company was also exceptionally pleasant: Heidi and Lucy and I were joined by our friend Mary for a long weekend at the beach, and we did some really fun stuff: walking the beach, shopping, a delicious lunch, and a visit to a really great historical site.

It was actually there that I got the biggest thrill of the day. When we checked in at the tiny gift shop for our tour of Whalehead, there was a sign displaying the prices. Kids under 5? Were free. Everyone else was seven dollars, EXCEPT active duty military and...

anyone over 55! We fine folks only had to pay five bucks for the tour!

Mary and I did a little happy dance. "That's my first senior discount!" I told her.

"Mine, too!" she replied.

"Not mine," said the cashier. "I'm 72. That'll be 17 dollars."

No comments:

Post a Comment