Thursday, November 29, 2018

As I Do

The final class of students had left for the day and my co-teaching team breathed a sigh. We took a few minutes to debrief and finalize planning for the next day. The task is for students to use a protocol of question stems to explore passages from a short story we read together. As we talked, I brought up some of the details that I had noticed and shared some of the thinking and writing I did using the thought prompts we gave the students. We spent the next 15 minutes dissecting the text and the motivation of the main character.

“Wow!” said one of the other teachers. “That was deep!”

I pointed to the learning target on the board: I can think, talk, and write to explore the details of the text.

“Bullseye!” I cheered. “Now let’s see if we can get the students there, too!”

No comments:

Post a Comment