Saturday, September 26, 2026

The Right Clothes

"Is the picnic still on?" a neighbor texted about the event at our community garden.

I looked outside; it was pouring. The steady rain from the Nor'easter moving up the coast was expected to last all day, but before I could reply with the certainty that our gathering was canceled, an email hit my inbox.
Yes, we WILL have the picnic today! We encourage you to bring your beach umbrellas and other items for this purpose. Please come and celebrate - and if you can't face the rain we will have a hamburger, hot dog, or veggie burger for you to pick up around 4 pm in your to-go box! 

 Why? There's no good rain date for the party planners. NOAA says it's to be 1/10 of an inch of rain. AI (ala Duck Duck Go) says that means slightly wet surfaces without leaving puddles. Typically that means a light shower lasting 30 to 45 minutes. 

My shopper today dares it to rain on our plans! We know you have rain clothes - time to make it worth your purchase! Still time to grab a rain poncho you can recycle when done.

The picnic did go on, but without me. Fellow gardeners shared pictures of folks in foul weather gear gamely munching on burgers at picnic tables sheltered by collapsible canopies. I guess I just don't share that brand of crazy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment