Lucy is slightly ahead of us on the trail when a rustling from the undergrowth to our left makes her jump and duck behind Heidi.
"It must have been something serious," Heidi laughs. "Because she doesn't usually get spooked so easily."
We continue along the grassy trail and around a bend, coming upon an enormous pile of poop. "That has to be from a bear," I say, and we scan the woods and meadows around us.
We are on a short day trip to Sky Meadows State Park and some nearby apple orchards. A half-peck of Cameos are in the car, and now we are exploring the Corporal Morgan Trail. As we take stock of our surroundings, I recount something I had read earlier. "One of the orchard websites' FAQs had a question about bears," I tell Heidi.
"What did it say?" she asks.
"Yes! There are bears. They love the peaches and apples. If you see a bear, leave the orchard immediately."
"That last part seems a little obvious," she notes.
We continue on our way and are relieved to make it back to the car about an hour later with no bear sightings.
No comments:
Post a Comment