Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Cumulative

When we are finished with our required activities, my homeroom loves to do online geography puzzles, news quizzes, and word games. One of our favorites is Connections by the NY Times. Each day players are given a block of 16 words and the challenge is to sort them into four categories of four words each. The criterion varies; in addition to thematic similarities, it could be a spelling commonality, pronunciation, completing common phrases, or something else.

The other day one of the solutions was bob, weave, cross, hook. "Oh! Those are boxing terms!" I explained as I stood at the smart panel. Then I pantomimed each one.

"You know how to box?" asked a student incredulously.

"I know the basic moves," I disclosed. "I've taken a few classes."

"What haven't you done?" asked another student in admiration.

"Well, I have been around a while," I laughed, "and I like to stay busy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment