Wednesday, February 14, 2024

The Choice Is Yours

 It's Kindness Week here at school and we have been doing plenty of activities in homeroom that center around being nicer. One of the kids has been having none of it, though. he's been dismissive and snarky at every opportunity. 

"Come over here," I invited him to my desk while the other students were working on "Kindness Cups" to show their appreciation for an adult in the building. "What is going on with you?" I asked. "Why are you being so negative?"

"I don't really believe in kindness," he told me sincerely.

"Why?" I replied.

"When I was in fifth grade there was this kid who was nice to me sometimes and mean to me other times," he began. "Once a teacher saw him being mean and they made him apologize. The next day he brought me something and gave it to me in front of the teacher, so she would think he was really sorry, but later he told me he didn't mean it."

"That was an awful thing for him to do," I agreed, "but that's why we are focusing on how to be kind ourselves. We can't control how other people act; we can only choose how we want to behave." 

He nodded, but he still seemed doubtful. All the while he had been enjoying the Valentine's Day lollipop I had given him. He eyed the bag, looking at the leftovers.

"I'll tell you what," I said. "I'll give you another lollipop, and you can either give it away or keep it for yourself. It's your choice."

"Do I have to tell you what I do?" he asked.

"Nope," I answered and handed him the candy. "Happy Kindness Week."

No comments:

Post a Comment