Friday, July 7, 2023

No Buy July

When I took my car in to get serviced yesterday, the shop informed me that I needed new brakes. I did a little research and found that 50,000 miles, 5 and a half years, with mostly in-town driving, was a reasonable lifespan for brakes, and so agreed to the extra work. The job was going to take extra time, too, so rather than have me wait, as I had been planning to, my service advisor offered me a free loaner. 

This convenience is one of the benefits of taking my car for maintenance and repair to the dealership where I purchased it, and I have enjoyed tooling around in a new Subaru several times over the years. Yesterday was no exception; when they pulled a 2023 Outback with only a couple thousand miles around to the front and handed me the keys, it was a little thrilling to climb behind the wheel. I savored the newness of the vehicle as I adjusted the automatic seat and mirrors and paired my phone easily with the huge display. The trip home was fun: the car was familiar, but the ride and the handling were smoother and more responsive.

Oh, they know what they're doing over there at the dealership; I'm sure more than a few courtesy loaner customers come back with a hankering for a new car, and I might have, too, were it not the 7th month of my "holidays" from things I might over-indulge in sometimes. This time? It's purchasing anything that is neither consumable nor a gift. Brakes fit the description, a new car does not.

Or does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment