Sunday, December 18, 2022

So Much Funakkah

We were invited to a neighbor's Hanukkah open house this afternoon, and as is often the case, I was reluctant to go. This time my excuses included the fact that I still wasn't feeling 100 percent, and there were so many holiday chores here at home, but attending the party was pretty much non-negotiable, and so I put on a nice blue sweater and boots and off we headed. 

It had occurred to me earlier in the day when I was wishing that I could stay home, put on a Hallmark movie, and wrap gifts, that this was the type of gathering that the folks in those movies always enjoyed. Sure, they had their gift wrapping scenes, but seldom were they at the expense of meeting with spending time with people, and never was the TV on.

And this party ended up being way better than running errands or checking off things on my to do list! There were neighbors to catch up with, pups to pet, babies to hold, brisket and latkes and chopped liver, and we played Dreidel and watched Adam Sandler on YouTube. At the end our hostess explained the tradition of the menorah, and she and her sister said the prayer as she lit the shamash and then the first candle.

And as we walked home, I felt like the holiday season had truly begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment