Monday, December 19, 2022

Shopping Local

One of the things I am looking forward to when I finally retire is to spend a lot of time at the museums downtown. Of course we know how lucky we are to live less than five miles from some of the finest exhibits on the planet, which are all open to the public for free, but knowing and going are two separate things, particularly when life and traffic stand between the two.

A few months ago we were walking on the National Mall with some friends and their dogs when one of them mentioned a monthly museum group she had once belonged to. Much like a book or dining out group, they picked an exhibit and met there. The wonder of such a plan cut through some of my how-ever-will-I-spend-my-time retirement angst. 

Even so, I resolved to get down there a bit more frequently now, before I retire, especially now that COVID protocols have eased. And today? We did just that, although not exactly in the way I had imagined. Our holiday shopping done with the exception of stocking stuffers, we remembered how fun the gift shops at the National Gallery have been in the past. That, plus the Christmas Market up by the National Portrait Gallery, made downtown seem like a good destination.

And it kind of was: the post-pandemic economy has taken a bit of a toll on inventory in many places, museum gift shops among them. It was still fun to look, though, and a good reminder of all the treasures that are really no more than a few minutes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment