Monday, December 5, 2022

Diminishing Returns

For many years, I have done my best to finish my school work before leaving for the day. That way, I am free and clear to focus on other things once I push through those heavy safety glass doors. But for those same many years, I have been one of the last to leave the building. Most evenings the halls are quiet, but for the vacuum of the custodian, and often even the main office is dark and locked when I slip by on my way out.

In that respect, working from home during the pandemic was a lot better for me. I was able to take personal breaks and come back to my work in a more seamless way. Exercise and chores, for example, seemed much easier to fit in.

So recently it occurred to me that perhaps it's time to change things up. And so I have resolved to leave school much earlier and restructure my afternoons. If I have to finish a few things at home? I guess I will. And hopefully everything will go a little quicker if my errands are done and I've been to the gym, and who knows?  I may use my planning time a bit more efficiently if I know it's limited.

And although I have come to love the way the sun shines in my window in late afternoon, and the quiet of the building when almost everyone else has left for the day,  whatever happens, I have to believe it's going to be better than sitting at my desk for hours after my contract day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment