Thursday, November 3, 2022

Share and Share Alike

I have a couple rules about eating in my class. If I provide the treat, then all are welcome to eat it, right there and then. if it's an outside snack, then I usually default to save it for later, mostly on the basis that eating it will be a distraction. Trust me, it is nearly impossible for sixth graders to eat anything without a big production and a lot of detritus.

Post Halloween candy consumption adds another layer of complexity. Many kids have something in their pockets, but not everyone. So today, when a student was eating candy, I reminded her of the rules. "What if I have enough for everyone?" she asked, and I agreed that it would be fine for her to share. 

She ran out though, with a couple of students to go. "Can I run to my locker for more?" she asked.

I told her no, planning to supply the extra candy myself, but two kids who had their treat willingly gave theirs to the two who had missed out.

"Wow!" commented one of the beneficiaries. "Chivalry sure is not dead in here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment