Saturday, November 19, 2022

Special Occasion

Lately, as I stand outside my classroom each morning, I've noticed an increase in the number of kids wearing pajama pants to school. These days, fuzzy fleece and flannel in fun florals, plaids and patterns, emojis and cartoon characters are a common sight in school.

As for me, it's a rare occasion that I leave the house in my pajamas, but this morning we were busy getting organized and packing for the beach from the time we got up. When 9 am rolled around and the dog needed to go out, I pulled on my warm white buffalo plaid jacket over my red buffalo plaid pjs and leashed her up. 

Imagine my surprise as I rounded the corner of our quiet complex and ran into one of my students and her mom. "Oop," I laughed, "you caught me walking the dog in my pajamas." In truth, I knew that her best friend from elementary school lived in our neighborhood, but the encounter was still unexpected.

"I need a cozy outfit like that to walk our dog," her mom told me graciously.

The next folks I met were a neighbor, who is also a teacher, and her kids. "You look nice and warm on this cold morning!" she said.

"I used to have a just shirt like that," her son pointed to my pants.

She's an elementary school teacher, so I said, "I don't know about your students, but in middle school they are wearing pajamas on the regular. Soon, there won't be any point in having pajama day!" 

"Maybe we should change it to wear regular clothes to school day," she laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment