Wednesday, November 23, 2022

That's Quite Enough Already

"Should we go to that meat market we saw yesterday?" I asked Emily as we out running errands this morning. "They'll probably be lonely on Thanksgiving," I laughed.

When we arrived a tall burly man in a bright red knit cap was standing outside the door with a clipboard. "Do you have a preorder with us?" he asked officiously.

"No," I shrugged. "Is that a problem?"

"It depends what you want," he said.

"We're just here for some steak," I said.

"I am totally sold out of filet," he informed me.

"Filet?" I laughed, for that is not what I had in mind. "How about rib-eyes?"

"We have those," he nodded and peered through the glass door. "That guy in the gray hat will help you."

Inside it seemed like a normal butcher shop. Maybe employees were hustling a little more than usual, but the case was full of beef, lamb, and pork. "What can I get you?" asked the gray-hatted man.

"Strip steak?" Emily suggested. "But what are those?" she pointed to the tray to the right.

"Rib-eye," I answered. "I love rib-eye! Let's get those." 

The steaks were thick, so I asked for two. The counter guy pulled out the tray and slid it in front of me so that I could choose my steaks. I selected a couple with nice marbling, and he tossed them on the scale. "Anything else?" he asked, and I shook my head no. "$96.08," he shouted to the cashier and handed me a white-wrapped package. It was then that I noticed there were no price tags anywhere.

Wide-eyed, I turned to Emily who was holding a small wheel of cheese and a bag of olives in her hand. "Those steaks were a hundred bucks!" I told her.

"I wonder how much this cheese and olives will be," she laughed.

"We're already in for a hundred," I said, "might as well get those, too." 

I placed the cheese and olives on the counter and pulled out my credit card. "That will be $140.47," the cashier said. "will there be anything else?"

No comments:

Post a Comment