Friday, July 15, 2022

The Shape of Summer

Today was yet another perfect summer day here in Buffalo. The weather has been spectacular since we arrived on Monday: low 80s, breezy, puffy white clouds in a deep blue sky, some rain at night, but not much humidity in the day. 

The weather may be ideal, but the trip has been a little tough. Heidi’s parents are growing older; they tire easily and are a bit testy at times. It’s hard to know how to be supportive, not so much in the short term, while we are here, but the rest of the time, when we are 400 miles away. It takes a toll on Heidi and clouds the otherwise beautiful days.

As we near the halfway point of summer, I am trying to live in the moment and love each day for what it has to offer, because like every season or time, this one is beginning to take shape in my consciousness. So far, in addition to this trip to Buffalo, there has been the wonderful trip to Maine with all its challenges, my birthday, the days at home between traveling, the garden, my thoughts on teaching and retirement.

As a benchmark, I find myself thinking back on so many summers past and considering the weather, the travel, the activities, and what feeling those elements have formed as a whole. 

Regular readers know how fond I am of lists and serials, and in the coming days? I will present to you ten memorable summers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment