Sunday, July 24, 2022

2002

It was a little hard to believe I was turning 40, and Maine is an incredible place, so in 2002 I asked my family if they would spend a week on Mt. Desert Island in June to celebrate my 40th birthday. There were 10 of us: Bill and Emily, Riley and Treat (who were nearly 10 and 7 at the time), Courtney and Jordan (who were recently engaged), my mom, Heidi, Josh, and me. 

We rented a place that had recently been a bed and breakfast, with an awesome commercial kitchen, a big dining room, and lots of bedrooms. It was across the street from the ANP beach at Long Pond, and we got a canoe for the week so that we could explore the lake after returning home from our morning hikes.

Except for Heidi and me, no one else had ever been to the island, and we had never all been on vacation together. It may have been the first time, but it wouldn't be the last. The shape of that summer was an overture of interlaced motifs that we would all hear again.

No comments:

Post a Comment