Friday, July 29, 2022

The Shape of Summer, a Few Final Thoughts

Looking back over all those summers it occurred to me that there have been very few summers in my life where I had to go to work every day. I had a couple summer jobs: I was a counselor for a summer school program in England 1980, that waitressing job in 1982, which I wrote about, and in 1984, when I was in graduate school, I sold ice cream on the boardwalk for the summer. 

From 86-89 I had a full time job in the kitchen of a small catering and cafe business in Virginia Beach, and from 90-92, I worked as a cook for United Airlines in their flight kitchen at Dulles Airport. Those are the only 2 jobs I’ve ever had where summers were *gasp* included. I also taught summer school a few years at the beginning of my teaching career, but it’s been decades since I did that. 

Obviously, the shape of most of the summers of my life has been the privilege of having 8-10 weeks off and the resources to enjoy them. I do feel humbly grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment