Saturday, July 23, 2022

2000

After eight years of teaching summer school, 2000 was the year I finally called it quits and gave myself my first proper summer break as a teacher. And that year, we made the most of it. 

We stayed with Josh and his mom in Cape Cod for a week. Our visit included a whale watching excursion from P-town, where after 2 years of fighting me for Heidi's attention, 4-year-old Josh finally reached up and took my hand willingly. I could hear both Heidi and his mom oohing and awwing behind us as we crossed the street hand in hand on our way back to the car, but I had known all along that it would only be a matter of time before we were fast friends.

A week or so later we drove down to Lynchburg to welcome Heidi's goddaughter Allyn, and then it was up to Maine to stay with Ruth and her boys. After a fabulous week of hiking and playing, we picked up lobsters packed to go and headed straight to Buffalo to spend some time with Heidi's family. 

And the big finale? Heidi had surprised me for my birthday with plane tickets and a hotel reservation in Paris, and so we jetted off for a week in France. 

The shape of that summer was freedom to reconnect and recharge, and as busy as it was? We went back to school relaxed and ready to start a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment