Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Right There's a Gap

The assignment was relatively straight-forward: students were to work with their table groups to complete a kind of a scavenger hunt, searching through a text to find examples of powerful writing. And yet, the classroom was almost silent as I circulated through, clarifying the task, answering questions, and encouraging kids to work together.

"Why aren't you talking?" I asked.

"I'm not done yet," one student answered.

"I know," I said, "the idea is that you work together and talk your ideas through."

"But he's got more answers than I do," the student pointed out. "Wouldn't that be cheating?"

And so it went, most students preferring to complete the analysis on their own instead of collaborating. 

"I don't understand it!" I said at last to one class, "It would be so much easier and more productive for you guys to follow my directions and WORK TOGETHER!"

I looked at them. They looked back at me. We were equally bemused.

"What!" I finally asked. "Have you spent the last year and a half learning all by yourself at home?"

Turns out? They had.

No comments:

Post a Comment