Saturday, October 23, 2021

If I Know You

Lately Heidi has had a bee in her bonnet, or perhaps more seasonal and precise, a bat in her belfry, about her Halloween costume. This year she plans to go as Maleficent, the evil queen from Sleeping Beauty, and Lucy and the cats are going to dress as her bat minions. So yesterday as soon as our conferences were over we headed to Spirit Halloween where we found her costume, and subsequently ordered some bat wings for our pets. 

She was so excited that she tried it on this morning to preview the look. After the two of us thoroughly discussed the headpiece (cool), and cape-caftan gown (also kind of cool), and what her make up would be like, she decided to go show her friend down the way.

"You're just going to walk around the neighborhood dressed like Maleficent?" I asked. 

"Yep!" she answered cheerfully and out the door she went. 

I could hear though the kitchen window when she ran into our next door neighbor. "You look amazing!" she said, “so elegant and evil!” and then they proceeded to discuss the make up plan again.

"What about a staff?" our neighbor asked. "There's something very empowering about carrying a staff."

We had actually debated the staff situation at length, and Heidi finally decided against one because it would get in the way when she was walking Lucy.

"Well you look very elegant, and comfortable, too," our neighbor continued. "I love a caftan!"

Just then another neighbor happened by. "Why are you dressed up?" she asked.

"Who's dressed up?" the first neighbor asked and the three of them were still cracking up when yet another neighbor came upon the scene. 

"I have come to receive my punishment," she bowed to Heidi.

"Just stay away from spinning wheels," the other neighbor advised. 

A little while later Heidi came back inside. "It's a hit!" she reported.

I would say so.

1 comment:

  1. This is inspiring me to figure out a costume. I better get myself in gear!

    ReplyDelete