Friday, October 1, 2021

Bare Faced

Today was picture day at school, and although I went after the final bell had rung I still found myself in a kind of a long line. I made the best of it by chatting up a student I had only met earlier today; she is a bit of character who carries around a tiny black lump that she has named Mr. Bean in a little plastic box.

"Can I call him Senor Frijoles?" I joked, because she is a Spanish speaking student.

"No!" she insisted. "He is not for me to eat! He is dried slime!"

As we waited, I asked her if she was going to smile for the camera.

"I'm not going to show my teeth!" she said, and explained why, but I couldn't really follow her. I was a little distracted by the site of the students on the stage; as we got closer I could see them posing without their masks. 

And although I didn't know too many of them, I was a little excited about the prospect of seeing the new pictures of the students I do teach when they update my grade book in a few weeks. Even though we're all used to seeing the masks, once in a while a kid will pull theirs down to take a sip of water and another student will say, "I did not think you looked like that under your mask!" and I'll realize that I totally agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment