Wednesday, October 20, 2021

If it's Good Enough for Superman

I haven't worn my exercise tights for a while. Back when stay-at-home orders were issued, they evolved from gym clothes to live-in clothes, and they were a go-to through virtual learning and right up to our return to school last spring. Once we were back in the building, though, it seemed unlikely that I could get a workout in on any kind of break, and as comfortable as they were, tights seemed a little too cas, even for me. 

Of course summer is too hot for any such garment, and now we are back at school full time again, so my nice little pile of tights with their practical side pockets has gone ignored, until today. A cool snap has given our area relief from some extended summery warmth, and at first the chilly mornings followed by warmer afternoons had me scratching my head for what to wear when I got home for school, but today? The answer was clear: Girl! Pull on a pair of tights! And so I did, even if it was just to walk down the big hill to the grocery and back up again with my dinner provisions.

I'm not gonna lie-- the old tights felt a little, well, tight, and after a summer of shorts I needed to make peace with just how close they were. But I did that on the walk to the store, where I filled three bags worth of groceries before hefting them back up the hill. 

On the way home I passed a neighbor. "Where have you been?" she asked.

"The grocery store," I answered.

"The one down the hill?" she replied with surprise.

"Yeah," I shrugged. 

"Impressive!" she said.

"It's not really that far--" I started.

"Still!" she interrupted. "The groceries! That's a load. And you're looking strong!"

I considering arguing, but then I thought better of it. "Thanks!" I said with a mock flex and a squat. 

We laughed, and as I strode on up the hill, the tights were feeling pretty good.

1 comment: