Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wicked Heat

I set my phone in the shade at the garden this afternoon, out of the way of the sprinklers as I watered and weeded. I kept my airpods in, though, and listened to a podcast as I worked. Right in the middle of an appreciation of Naya Rivera, the actress who played Santana Lopez on Glee, the audio abruptly stopped. The sun had moved to where my phone was and it had a too hot to use error message that I've never seen before.

As my phone cooled off, I continued to think about the character of Santana, though. Like Regina, the evil queen in Once Upon a Time, she was a complex villain with a well-developed heart and soul, which made her redemption in later seasons of the show moving. I appreciated that she was gay, and identified with all the teenaged heartbreak that went along with her sexuality, and I found her happy ending to be one of the most gratifying. And so I was genuinely sad when I heard that Naya Rivera had drowned.

Checking my phone, I found it sufficiently recovered to use again, and this time I put it in my pocket where I could keep it safe, but not before I put on my Santana playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment