Sunday, July 12, 2020

Now and When

The farmers market was not where I left it.

I had decided around 10:30 this morning to lay my recent, negative, open air shopping experiences aside and check out the larger, more established produce market a couple of miles from my home. The hope was that a combination of time into the growing season, more vendors, organization, and people on vacation would make the trip both more profitable and less unpleasant, but the green space where I have shopped for years was empty. Fortunately, as I drove around, I spotted the canopies and tents of the market just across the pike, so I parked, put on my mask, and walked over.

And it was better organized and more bountiful. I waited on colorful dots painted at six foot intervals, first to enter and then to shop. Everything I wanted was available, along with one thing I hadn't planned on. "What are those pink beans back there in the crate?" I asked the young woman who was bagging my heirloom tomatoes.

"October Beans," she told me, "they're kind of like pinto beans,” she explained.

“So they’re shell beans?” I clarified with a note of excitement in my voice, for in the last few years I have come to prize the fresh version of those beans we usually get canned or dried. The sweeter flavor and creamier texture of them is so much more satisfying than their preserved versions, which is really not that surprising. I guess I just never considered them to be real vegetables. My bad, fresh beans! Please accept my apologies.

So I bought a pound of the October Beans, and I left the market with a spring in my step. Crossing back over the space where the farmers usually set up their stalls, I imagined the scene a year from now, when things would be more as they have been in the past: shoppers strolling through and handling the wares they wanted, musicians playing, memories of face masks and painted dots fading into the background.

Back in the present, I shelled those beans the minute I got home. They were gorgeous inside and out, pink and cream swirling on pod and bean alike; their beauty made my heart sing. This is real, I thought as I worked, and I knew it was true.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for good news! Hooray for October beans and a spring in your step.

    ReplyDelete