Monday, July 6, 2020

Let's Get Real

My driver's license was set to expire at the end of June, and the DMV would not let me forget it! Throughout the spring I received reminder after e-mailed reminder. The trouble was, the DMV had closed all of their locations in response to the COVID-19 crisis. When at last they rolled out some limited office hours, by appointment only, none of our service centers up here in Northern VA were open yet. And still the no-reply messages came reminding me to renew my driver's license!

 Finally, I was able to schedule an appointment for July 7, just a week after my ID became invalid. Technically, the governor extended all DMV documents for three months, but tell that to Safeway where they scan the barcode to see if you are of age to buy beer, no matter how many laugh lines you can point to around your eyes.

Starting in October, airlines will require REAL ID for anyone planning to travel, and my new license will be verified to use that way as long as I bring the required documentation with me to my appointment tomorrow. Like most things bureaucratic, the directions were several pages long and not as clear as I would liked. Even the one-page overview was a bit complicated in its explanation of required documents and list of "Most commonly used documents," so I set aside some time today to gather my paperwork so I'll be all set when I put on my face mask and head over to the DMV not earlier than ten minutes before my appointed time.

Fortunately, I had read the list before and I knew that, since my passport was expired and out for renewal, that I would need a copy of my birth certificate, which I ordered a few weeks ago from the DC Vital Records Department. I also knew right where my social security card was, and then it was only a matter of setting aside the mortgage statement and the power bill when I paid them this month. (That's right-- I don't have paperless delivery! I also still get the newspaper delivered to my door. What a dinosaur! You'd think they would sell me some beer at the grocery store based on those two facts alone.) Anyway, I think I've got my 
One proof of identity
One proof of legal presence
Two proofs of Virginia residency
• Two from the primary list, or
• One from the primary list and one from the secondary
list
One proof of your social security number, if you’ve been
issued one
Current driver’s license if you are applying to exchange one
issued by another U.S. state, territory or jurisdiction for a Virginia
driver’s license
and hopefully, I'll have a REAL ID sometime tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I might have to call on the Blue Fairy.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the frustration you are expressing in this piece.

    Favorite line: "You'd think they would sell me some beer at the grocery store based on those two facts alone."

    ReplyDelete