Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Maine Idea

It wasn't on my radar screen. A friend invited me up to her place in Maine, but although I politely thanked her, I never really intended to go. Until... I spent the better part of the summer teaching summer school and shoveling plaster and lathe into a wheelbarrow, pushing it up to an open window on a makeshift ramp, and shoving it into a dumpster below with a rake. After five weeks of that? A 14 hour road trip seemed like a great idea.

That was 25 years ago, and it was true love from the beginning. A simple search of "Maine" on this blog will turn up many love letters to the mountains, ocean, granite, and spruce of the northeastern most state in the union. Since then, I have made the pilgrimage every year (or two, in dire times) for a week or two of cool breezes, smooth rocks, hiking, and lobster. Once? I even went in January, and I spent both my 40th and 50th birthdays there.

So it seems damn near impossible when I check my calendar that it has been four full years since last I set foot in Vactionland. And yet, there you have it. Fingers crossed, I'll be back there next summer, and until then I'll keep making those lobster rolls, pausing at any stand of balsam or pine along the local trails, breathing deeply at any hint of cool breeze, and collecting those smooth rocks.

I miss you, Maine!

2 comments:

  1. You've captured the magic of Maine here. I, too, have fallen under its spell.

    ReplyDelete