Thursday, September 23, 2021

Hybrid Design

My friend Mary and I took a working walk during our planning time today. As we stretched our legs on a mile-long loop through campus and around the neighborhood, we compared notes on today's lesson and what we have coming up next week. 

We also looked up the listing for a tiny, 1900 square foot, 2-bedroom, 2-bath house with some updates ($885,000!). Rounding the corner, Mary spotted a huge, new-construction house down the street. 

"Fancy!" she noted. "They obviously have some serious money-- look at their three Land Rovers in the driveway."

"That used to be one of my favorite houses in the neighborhood," I said, "an old farmhouse with a big porch."

"I'm not saying I don't like the new house," Mary nodded. "I'm just saying it doesn't really fit in here."

"Well, they do have that more traditional facade in the front," I said looking at a wide white gable over a spacious porch. "But that back is all contemporary-- it's like a giant brown box." I paused. "I guess it's business in the front and party in the back."

"Right," Mary agreed, "the mullet of houses!”

And although the hairstyle is enjoying a bit of a comeback, I can’t help thinking those people are going to regret that house. Because it’s never going to grow out. 

1 comment:

  1. Two blog mentions in one week- a Mary highlight! I'm thinking they won't have much time to regret their house--they'll have moved on to a new, bigger mullet house.

    ReplyDelete