Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Facial Recognition

Not yet quite used to the timing of our block schedule, I was power-walking into the office and toward the ladies' room at the beginning of lunch today when I locked eyes with a student waiting in the chairs there. He showed no real sign of recognition, but looking at all that was visible above the mask, a mop of wavy, brown hair, hazel eyes, smooth caramel forehead, and ears studded with at least a dozen blingy earrings, I couldn't shake the feeling that I knew him. 

Such interactions are very common at school this year. Just last week a student planted himself in front of me as I stood greeting kids in the hallway. "Hello!" he said with a broad wave.

"Hello!" I said and cocked my head. "Who are you?"

"Dewayne!" he told me. I was thrilled to meet one of my best students from last year in person for the first time, and we spent an animated, if weird, few minutes both catching up and getting to know each other.

Today, as I exited the office on my way back to eat my lunch, I heard that kid in the chairs talking to one of the secretaries as I passed and spun on my heel. "Is that Steven?" I asked.

"It sure is!" the secretary answered. 

"I thought I recognized you!" I told him, "but I wasn't sure."

Turning to the secretary I explained. "He never turned his camera on last year, but that voice..." I laughed and from his eyes, I could tell he was smiling a real, genuine smile. "That voice is unmistakable." I came back into the office. "It is nice to finally meet you, Steven."

No comments:

Post a Comment