Tuesday, May 7, 2024

T is for Tie Dye

The end-of-the-year activity for the girls' mentoring group I work with was tie-dying t-shirts yesterday. Tie-dying used to be on of our go-to summer activities when all the kids in our life were young. Over the years we dyed not only t-shirts, but also tank tops, socks and underwear, a dress, shorts, pillowcases, and almost anything else we could think of. It was always really fun!

All that experience came back to me yesterday as a dozen and a half of us sat outside in the warm sunshine and twisted up white ts, bound them with rubber bands, and squirted lots of bright dye on them. I was able to help some girls pleat hearts for their shirt centers, show others the classic spiral twist, and give some pointers on executing the bullseye, too. 

At the end, when there were extra shirts available, I leapt at the opportunity to create my own design, and there was a satisfied smile on my face as I shamelessly squirted lots of leftover dye on the sections of my neatly spun shirt. Dropping it in a plastic bag to carry home with me, I remembered one more thing about tie-dying: how hard it is to wait those 24 hours until you can see how your masterpiece turned out!

Life Lesson: The waiting is the hardest part. ~Tom Petty "The Witing is the Hardest Part"

No comments:

Post a Comment