Monday, May 6, 2024

P is for Plus That

Today was the poetry prize day and 36 out of the 112 kids participating wrote 20 times or more and so received a treat of their choice or a chance to spin the wheel of prizes. In general, everyone was pleased with what they got, but as much as I try to use the prizes to pump up and incentivize writers for the next challenge, there's always a nay-sayer.

"No offense, but the prize I got last time wasn't worth all the time I spent writing," one kid dismissed the challenge today.

I shrugged, determined not to allow his attitude to get under my skin. "Well," I replied mildly, "you got the prize and all that writing practice, Maybe it was worth more than you think."

He was unconvinced, but others had a different perspective. "I can't do the hundred days," one student shrugged, "but I'm definitely going to get the prize for this one!"

"A hundred days is hard," I nodded, "but that's why we have daily and monthly challenges, too."

"Plus all that writing," she added.

"Plus that," I agreed. "Plus that."

Life Lesson: Sometimes you're going to have to lose. ~Miley Cyrus "The Climb"

No comments:

Post a Comment