Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Uncomfortable Privilege

On my way to work this morning, I heard a piece on NPR about a proposed law in Florida shielding people from any required training or education that might cause them discomfort because of "race, color, sex, or national origin." The text of the bill specifically mentions inherent racism, privilege, and "adverse treatment to achieve diversity, equity, or inclusion."

But the kicker can be found in this section which makes it unlawful if "an individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin," which basically criminalizes anything that might trigger white fragility.

I mentioned the law to my homeroom during a lesson on Black History Month. 

"That seems wrong," said one student, "but what can we do? We're not in Florida."

"Well," I answered, "some people who disagree strongly enough with the law might boycott Florida."

"But I like Florida!" said another student sadly.

"A lot of people do," I agreed, "but everyone has to follow their conscience."

"Well," he sighed, "at least we still have the Bahamas."

No comments:

Post a Comment