Monday, February 14, 2022

Still Plain

In honor of Valentine's Day, the question was What is your favorite candy? and the task was to post a picture and the slogan. It's always been my impression, based on anecdotal evidence, that most kids prefer fruity candy to chocolate, but today that theory was proven incorrect, at least for this group of sixth graders. Kit Kat was an early favorite, and when one student couldn't find the slogan, I burst into song. 

Gimme a break,
gimme a break,
break me off a piece
of that Kit Kat bar.

"What was that?" gasped a student.

"Haven't you guys ever seen that commercial?" I asked.

"Uh, no," the kid replied in a snarky voice. "We're only 11 and 12. That was before our time."

"Really?" I replied. "Let's see." 

A quick internet search revealed that the commercial I was thinking of was produced in 1988. As we watched all sorts of people vigorously belting out the jingle, though, I did notice a silver lining." "Well at least the persuasive technique is obvious!" I told the class.

"Plain folks!" some kids correctly pointed out.

"Plain folks from over 30 years ago!" said the snarky student. " Give me a break!"

No comments:

Post a Comment