Saturday, January 25, 2020

Out with the Not-so-old

"They closed the grocery store down by the target," Heidi told me yesterday. "Did you know that was happening?"

I did not, and so curious, I did a little quick research. There was no news about what was going to replace it, but there was an article about the property behind it. The 20 theater cinema was going to be torn down to make way for some Virginia Tech buildings, retail and office space, as well as the new Metro stop, all in response to the impending presence of Amazon's HQ2 campus a mile or so away.

I can't say I was sad that the movies were going; it wasn't a theater we enjoyed very often. But it did strike me that I remembered when they first built it on land that had once been an old railroad yard. The whole shopping center was shiny and brand new just a little over 20 years ago, and although it's definitely aged, it sure made me feel kind of old that part of it was already being replaced by something even newer.

No comments:

Post a Comment