Friday, January 31, 2020

Tele-teacher

When it comes to jobs, teleworking and teaching seem incompatible. The flexible, get-up when-you-want, errand-running, Netflix-watching, going to the gym, as-long-as-the-work-gets-done model of  production is impossible to jibe with that essential face-to-face transaction that defines public school.

But on a teacher work day? When kids are off and the to-do list is mostly grading and planning? Location can be arbitrary, particularly given the online tools of today.

Our district has offered the option for a couple of years now, but I have never chosen it, partially from the suspicion that some might think if we don't need to come in, we don't need the day, and also from the self-awareness that I get more work done at my desk. But for today, with Heidi off, and most of my colleagues planning to be out of the building, I took a deep breath and checked 'yes' on the Google form, indicating that I would work from somewhere other than my classroom.

And... I probably did less today than I might have otherwise, but my grades are due when they are due, and they will be done. AND? It's not like teachers aren't used to working outside their contract day, plus I got to stay up late with my writing group last night and sleep in a little today. 

So, I'll call it wash.


No comments:

Post a Comment