Thursday, January 30, 2020

Life Before

Part of the fun of our media literacy unit is watching a whole bunch of commercials with the kids in class. In fact, we even plan it for this time of year to coincide with all the Super Bowl commercials, and one tweak I've made to the daily plan is to watch a "commercial of the day" where the quote of the day discussion ordinarily takes place.

Today we watched the latest Amazon Alexa ad, an early Super Bowl release. It features Ellen Degeneres and Portia DiRossi and whimsically imagines what people did before there was Alexa. After viewing, we have a quick discussion where students identify the persuasive techniques they noticed.

Of course, testimonial was number one for this particular commercial. "That's right," I confirmed to all of my classes. "Both Ellen Degeneres and her wife, Portia DiRossi are celebrities who use the product."

And every time I said it, my breath caught just a tiny bit, for it was not long ago at all (but definitely before Alexa) that I never could have imagined even mentioning in school two women who were married, much less say it just as casually as I did today in the lesson.

My students accept same sex marriage as a given; they cannot even imagine life before that was so. Now that? Appeals to my emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment