Sunday, December 22, 2019

There's No Place Like Here for the Holidays

"This is the 20th Christmas I've spent with your family," I told Heidi this morning.

"I'm sorry," she said, and we both laughed, even though she was only half joking. The first Christmas Eve I spent here in Buffalo was the first Christmas Eve I had ever been away from my own family, and I shed a few tears after talking to them on the phone even though I knew I would see them the next day.

I didn't choose the arrangement; both of our families did our big holiday celebration on Christmas Eve, but it seemed more important to Heidi's mom to keep their tradition as it was. And so my side of the family switched their routine, and Heidi and I traveled early on Christmas morning from Buffalo to DC and then Atlanta to be there with them.

Despite all the driving and flying, I never minded the arrangement: we got two Christmases with the people we love most. Over the years, though, I secretly preferred spending Christmas Eve with Heidi's family, for even though I love them dearly, even after the holiday toasts were made and all the gifts were unwrapped, I always had my own mom and brother and sister to look forward to.\

More than anything else, these last months have taught me that the old ways cannot last forever. Everything ends and everything must change. Two Christmases with beloved family is a blessing that I've had for 20 years, and I'm only just now appreciating how wonderful it has been.


No comments:

Post a Comment