Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Ride Share, Chapter 2

I didn't really feel like talking at 4:15 in the morning, but I didn't want to be rude to our Uber driver either, and so I asked if he had been busy this early Christmas morning.

"The holidays are always busy," he said, "but I work the overnights anyway."

"Do you have a day job, too?" I asked.

He confessed that he did not; he was in between jobs and taking some online courses, making ends meet by driving a ride share, and waiting for the next thing.

"Do you drive at night because it's more lucrative, then?" I wondered.

"It is," he answered, "but I'm a night owl, anyway, and since I'm usually up until 4 or 5, I prefer to work these hours."

"That makes sense," I said.

"For the most part I like it," he told me, "but you do have to have a pretty thick skin to deal with some of the characters you get at that time. You wouldn't believe some of the things that have happened!"

"You should write a book or do a podcast," I laughed.

"Maybe so," he mused. "But whenever I talk to other drivers, they always have to one up me with some of their crazy stories." He paused. "I guess I could have them as guests on my podcast, though."

I wondered if he was really considering it.

"I'll give you a little piece of it, if it goes well," he laughed.

"And I'll subscribe to your show," I told him. "You can call it the Uber Night Shift!"

No comments:

Post a Comment