Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Down at the Feed and Seed

Every time I cross the tracks on my way to see my mom, my eye is drawn to a sprawling building down the block. "Feed & Seed," reads the sign, and in smaller letters, "Antiques and Gifts". Oh how that sounds like my kind of place!

So today, after I had a true Dorothy moment when leaving the hospital I encountered low clouds and powerful winds which quickly swirled into a torrential downpour (so much so, that I was almost convinced that upon my arrival at the condo I would have to pound the storm cellar door with my heel), we decided to make the most of a rainy day and do some local shopping. Of course the F&S was our first stop, and it did not disappoint. In the front of the store we  saw ten foot stacks of 25 pound bags of dog, cat, and other animal feed. There was all sorts of bird seed, too, and a lot of hummingbird stuff. A little farther into the store there were fifty pound bags of water softener stacked by a tower of salt blocks and several duck decoys.

The farther we got into the store, though, the more magical it became. It was one of the most pleasing junk shops I have ever visited. Items were artfully arranged by both color and use. For example, there was a whole corner of green:  folding chairs, thermoses, oxidized copper, and farming tools.

Heidi and I spent well over an hour in there, and in the end we left with a collection of old novelty buttons and pins and four Swanky Swig glasses-- tiny vintage drink ware that first held Kraft cheese spread. Each year there was a new pattern, and so we know that ours were made in 1934, 1937, 1947, and 1948.

And they are the perfect size for sipping beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment