Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Dusty Dolphins

My classroom is full of dolphins. Our middle school team is named the Dolphins, and the decor in my room has followed suit in the 20 years since that christening. In addition to framed prints and posters, nylon banners, magnets, postcards, book marks, ceramic ornaments, and coffee mugs there are also three plush stuffie dolphins hanging from the ceiling. The largest one is pretty impressive: four feet long with a goofy smile and a missing button eye. He was a parting gift from the colleague who proposed the name. "I won't need this anymore," she said when she changed schools.

That guy has been up there since June 2000. "What's his name?" the new kids always ask, and at first the question made me pause. I shrugged and reached up to give it a pat. A cloud of dust worthy of Pigpen puffed out into the air.

"Dusty!" I told them.

"Dusty the one-eyed dolphin!" they answered, and that became his name.

Since then, he has been joined by a much smaller, darker gray version that another colleague gave me when her kids outgrew it. That guy was quickly dubbed Junior. And then about 8 years ago I visited the amazing Atlanta Aquarium with my niece and nephew. In the gift shop we found the most huggable pink dolphin with embroidered spirals. Clearly it was a must-have, and that one has been hanging in my classroom since. (Name, you wonder? New Pink Dolphin)

This morning when I was standing on a chair to rehang a few things in my room, I got a closer look at NPD. A thick layer of gray dust dulled the colorful spirals and plush pink exterior. Gross! I thought. What to do?

I'll tell you what: I pulled the lint roller from my desk drawer and proceeded to go through at least a dozen sheet changes as I spiffed up my stuffed dolphin collection. As I methodically rolled them from to bottlenose to fluke I was kind of shocked that I'd never thought of doing that before.

When a colleague caught me in the middle of my chore, she was initially a bit surprised, but she recovered well. "what a good idea! Do you do that every year?" she asked.

"I do now!" I told her.

No comments:

Post a Comment