Thursday, August 8, 2019

Intersection

Worlds collide here at the Mayo.

I stood at a 7th floor window looking down on the weekly summer festival that they have every Thursday here in Rochester. An hour before, Heidi, my mom, and I been down there, sitting at a cafe table in the shade of a high rise enjoying lobster rolls, rotisserie chicken and fish tacos. The main stage was below me, and the canopies and carts stretched beyond my sight, but I knew the arts and crafts and henna and CBD and dog fashion and popcorn and giant cookies and fine food and beverages were offered along three blocks, ending in a whole other stage.

Two women in colorful head scarfs chatted on a bench. Five folks on scooters (Lyme just rolled them out here last week) rolled up to a raised garden and parked along the circle right outside the Gonda Building 2nd street entrance. A young couple, both colorfully tattooed, pushed a patient in a wheel chair toward the elevator. To my right, I caught the strains of a conversation I couldn't ignore: Ashley has the championship pig! a woman told the man in the ball cap sitting next to her in a plush leather chair.

The diversity was staggering. And yet? I knew we were are all drawn there by human need.

Just then, Heidi and my mom returned from the ladies room and we headed to the elevator.

No comments:

Post a Comment