Sunday, May 26, 2019

Last-Ditch

The top rack of our dishwasher is starting to fall apart-- a little plastic connector is broken from one of the side rollers, so the whole thing sags on one side. I could order a replacement rack, but it would cost about 150 dollars, which is well on the way to paying for a new dishwasher. Still, it's galling to dispose of a working appliance because of some small part.

I should know, I just went through it with my stove. A screw hole on the handle was stripped, and after ordering replacement screws (18 bucks) and then a replacement handle (35 bucks), neither of which worked, the whole door to the oven fell apart. A replacement door was not much less than a replacement range, and so we have a nice new stove in the kitchen.

I foresee a similar situation with the dishwasher, but before I give in completely, I ordered a package of Sugru, the amazing moldable glue that sticks to almost anything and cures in 24 hours to a solid silicone. I gotta say-- the stuff is amazing! Temperature resistant from -58 to 350 degrees, dishwasher proof, weatherproof, saltwater proof, and electrically insulating, one only need look at their Instagram feed full of images of clever repairs, hacks, and crafts.

And step one of my repair is curing as we speak. Will I be able to save the dishwasher? Time will tell, but this attempt has been totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment