Saturday, May 4, 2019

Ukes for Sale Chapter 2

"I brought the money!" my student told me earlier this week. "And I know exactly which ukulele I want. My dad helped me pick it out. AND, I'm getting the exact same tuner that you have."

I pulled the merchandise up online, verified it with her, and placed the order. She handed me a baggie with 42 dollars.

"You owe me 35 cents," she said. "When will it be here?!"

"Thursday," I informed her, depositing a quarter and a dime in her outstretched palm.

For the next two days, she asked about the status of her order every hour or so during the school day. "Still coming Thursday," I told her every time.

Tuesday night, I was shopping for writing prizes and found a tiny ukulele for 5 bucks. Given the current ukulele craze in my class, I could not pass it up.

As I carried the shopping bag of fabulous prizes into school the next morning, my student hailed me. "Did it come yet?"

I held up the small plastic toy I had purchased the night before. Her face lit up, froze, and then fell. "That's my ukulele?" she asked.

I paused, prolonging her dismay just a little bit, and then laughed. "No! Yours is coming tomorrow!"

She clutched her chest. "I was abouta say!"

No comments:

Post a Comment