Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Idiosyncratic

There were a few more meetings today, but fortunately they involved concrete planning for the rest of this week and next, when students will actually be present, first at the open house tomorrow, and then for the opening days of school starting next Tuesday.

My room is coming together, too, although when I left this afternoon it was definitely in that storm before the calm stage, with boxes on the floor and posters and supplies strewn about all seven(!) tables. BUT, the bookshelves were unwrapped, and many items had been restored to their customary place.

In fact, a little glow of satisfaction warmed me in the air-conditioned chill as I considered those placements, well-tweaked after 24 years in the same room. Just then a new teacher came in to return the magnetic tape. She remembered that I had produced it from the bookshelf by my desk. "Does this just go on top?" she asked.

"Oh no," I replied, "it goes right here." And I slid it between the candy can and the metal file sorter next to it. "See how it sticks, because it's magnetic?" I asked.

Her face was polite, but blank, and for a moment I saw the room through her eyes.

"Signs you've worked in a space a little too long," I shrugged, and we laughed. "But now you know where to find it when you need it!" I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment