Monday, August 27, 2018

Institutional Friendship

Our professional learning activity today involved the staff taking the role of students, and following a school-day schedule attending "classes" taught by our colleagues. We were assigned to cohorts of about 20-25, and so it happened that I spent most of my day with a teacher who was on my team the first year I started teaching. We have been in the same school ever since, but never again on the same team or in the same department.

Even so, our friendship is very warm, and it often surprises our colleagues who have no knowledge of our connection. That's how it was today. My friend can present as a little flighty at times, and there were a few raised eyebrows and giggles at our table when I teased her about her silly comments.

"Hey! This is your old classroom!" I noted as we moved to our second session, and we laughed because it was, 25 years ago. "Hey! Isn't the next room we go to your old classroom, too?" I said at the end of the session. And we laughed again, because it was, 20 years ago.

"You're just going to have to work another 30 years," I finally told her, "so you can teach in every room in the building!"

No comments:

Post a Comment