Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Best Practices

One of my pet peeves about educators is that we rarely apply our knowledge of human nature and learning to adult audiences. So many of our presentations for "grown ups" are auditory, made to a sedentary audience. If we want to add pizzazz, we do an ice breaker and a power point.

Seriously?

That's why today, at the midpoint of an all-day meeting, I jumped at the chance to try an activity that one of our PTA members brought back from Alice Water's Edible School Yard Academy in Berkley. At the lunch break, I had seen the gorgeous weather-- all sunny, breezy, and blue skies-- through a window, but when it came time to go outside, our agenda still had several items left, and our principal kindly opened the activity to a vote: Do we have time for this? she asked us.

I knew that for me, time outside would clear my head and probably make the remaining work we had to do easier, so I raised my hand as a yes, and gleefully headed out when the votes were counted. I recognized that some of my colleagues wished we would just get on with it, so that maybe we could leave a few minutes earlier, but they were good sports once we got out there.

The activity was simple, a gentler, more reflective version of musical chairs that I could easily imagine using with students. We sat in a circle next to the garden and under the shade of a couple Magnolias, and everyone laughed and joked and switched seats whenever the wind blew for us.

And perhaps it's just my opinion, but the rest of our meeting was very productive, and we even got out early.

4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to get up & out! Good for you for pushing it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People forget adults are kids, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my sister about this very thing - she has to conduct refreshers for Physical Therapists and I do inservice work for teachers and of course our adult students need some fun and outdoor refreshment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed this when I was teaching Six Sigma classes in industry. When we broke into groups for some problem solving exercises, the first group out of their chairs usually got the best results.

    ReplyDelete