Monday, July 12, 2021

Pray, Indeed

We had Thanksgiving dinner last night. The idea, at first, seemed a little silly, but as a houseguest, who am I to object to my hostess's meal plans? 

What started out as a simple roasted turkey breast soon included mashed potatoes and turnips. "All we're missing is the stuffing," Heidi's mom said, but since I knew there was a sliced batard in the bread box, that was quickly remedied. A can of cranberry sauce in the pantry completed the menu, and the five of us sat down to Thanksgiving in July. 

"It's my favorite meal of the year," her mom told us, and considering that the five of us are never together for that holiday, it seemed like a new tradition was being established. As we ate, I heard my own mother's voice singing one of the many little songs she had for every occasion. 

And pray, how could anyone ever be cross, 

with turkey and dressing and cranberry sauce?

No comments:

Post a Comment