Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Mic Drop

A lot has been written lately about the etiquette of online meetings, but I don't think everybody has gotten the message. The basics are to mute your microphone unless you are speaking, especially in a large group. It is probably also wise to the same with the camera, or at least I intend to do so after sitting through an hour and a half meeting of 35 people watching folks scratch their heads, walk in and out of the frame, and drink coffee. Then the conversation came to an awkward halt when the unmistakable sound of farting blasted through the speakers. Props to the person facilitating, though, for her poised response. "We need to take a moment to remember our norms of muting the microphone unless we are speaking. I think we are getting some, uh, feedback, on the line."

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I hope the culprit's face didn't flash boldly on the screen due to the, um, feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Yeah, your name lights up in Zoom when you talk or...umm...make other noises. I think I'll remember to mute my mic in larger meetings going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness this couldn't have been our meeting yesterday as we are not a group of 35! But yes, a good reminder to all of "meeting norms".

    ReplyDelete