Saturday, November 30, 2019

Kite-tastrophe

Not really-- just a badly knotted string and a few crashes on the beach this morning, but I couldn't resist the pun.

My frame of mind may have been swayed by the stupid game I bought at a discount store yesterday. Despite a fabulous, well-designed box that actually turned into the game board, our first clue that we were in for an unsatisfying gaming experience was the rules: they seemed to be written in only a semi-chronological way, which was confusing and did not inspire confidence.

The game itself consisted of kind of hard logic puzzles written on cards with the answers printed right below, suggesting that they were to be read aloud. Most were way too complicated to solve without reviewing the text, though, which was another huge flaw. Finally, each player only had an unreasonable 2 minutes to solve as many of the brain teasers as possible.

In the end, we just read the cards and tried to solve them together. In that low stakes environment, although my mathematical reasoning was rusty, I had a knack for the word and language puzzles.

Lest I get too full of myself though, I must share one more anecdote. On the way out of town we passed a drugstore marquee with the message, "Get your flushot here".

What's a flushot? I asked myself. Do they mean "flush out"? What would you flush out that a pharmacy would have the tools? Maybe it's because we're at the beach. And so on, the tumblers of my brain kept turning to unlock the cryptic cypher.

Yah. I was way down the road when I realized they meant flu shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment