Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Gross Motor Skills

"What else did we learn besides skipping and galloping?" I asked my brother.

He looked at me blankly, then frowned. "Do you mean in gym when we were little?" He cocked his head. "Because that is super out of context."

I laughed so hard at his observation that I had to duck into the ladies room, but of course I meant exactly that. Somehow the notion of galloping and skipping had come up when I was walking with Treat and Annabelle, and as the three of us skipped and galloped along the boardwalk beneath the Bodie Island Lighthouse.

"Wasn't there a scissor step or an umbrella thing?" I asked when I returned, reaching back 5 minutes and 50 years. "But I have no idea what it actually looked like."

"Do you mean in Mother May I?" Heidi suggested.

"Oh my gosh!" I said. "I think maybe so!"

But Bill was ahead of us, googling umbrella and scissor steps. "Plant your heel, pivot, walk forward and repeat," he directed. Victor and I did so obediently, umbrella stepping down the trail toward Currituck Sound.

"That's it!" I cried.

"Step ahead and to the right, then bring your feet together. Now do it to the left," he said.

"Scissor step!" I confirmed, muscle memory recalling relay races through the gym in long ago elementary school PE classes. "Why did they even teach us that?"

No comments:

Post a Comment