Friday, May 7, 2010

Look Forward

Every school year is full of surprises, and this one has been no exception: there are definitely a few things that didn't turn out quite the way I expected. For example, in September, I would have bet money that our school renovation would have been behind schedule and I never would have had to move, but here I am in a cavernous yellow room in the basement shouting poetry and directions over the constant whine of power tools as the workmen cut through brick and cinder block right above us.

Back then, I wouldn't have dared hope that the two new teachers on my team would turn out to be so great, or that for the most part, the kids would stay so nice-- this year has been super that way. I also wouldn't have predicted that the professional collaboration that I've enjoyed for the last four school years would succumb to the inevitable demands of busy schedules and evolving priorities, but it looks like it has.

Every day this week, one of the kids has asked me how much more time we have in the year. Seven weeks is the answer. Is that all? they gleefully reply, to which I sternly remind them that seven weeks is a really long time. Look what we were doing seven weeks ago, I tell them, but they are unconvinced. Children look forward, not back. Maybe it's for this reason that I've started thinking ahead to next year already.

I can't say that it is without a little sadness that I've been re-organizing and re-structuring to compensate for the changes, but it's kind of exciting, too. I have a couple of ideas to further unify all the disparate parts of my program that I'm anxious to put in place, and since seven weeks is kind of a long time, I might even try out a few of them before the end of the year. You never know what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment