Monday, January 6, 2020

Heavy

With acknowledgement to the folks over at Two Writing Teachers, for the last 13 years on our first day back from Winter Break, my students have selected One Little Word to capture something they want in the New Year. The assignment is revealing about each individual, but the congregate collection of words is also somewhat revealing about the group, or maybe even the times.

For example, this year, a full 20 percent of the students chose the word "balance" as something they want in their lives. In their explanations they wrote such things as:
I choose balance because I can’t balance my homework with what I do at home. Sometimes I need to do my homework when I wake up, or late at night. 
My one one word for 2020 is balance. I sit in front of a screen a lot now because I got a computer. What I would like to do it get outside more and read more books. 
Balance also can apply to sleep because if I get more sleep I will have more energy so moving through the day will be easier. 
Having balance is important so I don’t have to stress and try doing 2 things at once. 
Balance would help me keep track and make time for things I need to take priority on to keep me stable. 
To me, balance means having time to do other things and try new things without having to cut something daily you do. 
I should make a schedule with a time when I have free time, food time, shower time and chores time. That’s why I want to be more balanced in 2020 or the rest of my life.
it’s hard to balance all of this struggle and pain on this thing we call life
As an adult, I value balance greatly, and I know how hard it is to find and keep, but it makes me a little sad that kids of 11 and 12 are having the same struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment